Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Clarity

"Without our knowing it, we see reality through glasses colored by the subconscious memory of previous experiences." No Man is an Island by Thomas Merton
In my best efforts, I have read the Bible, but a subconscious filter skewed the power of His Word. Through my past experiences, inevitable misconceptions and misunderstandings, God's powerful truth was lost. It is impossible to ignore the fact that our culture, upbringing and experiences color the picture we have of God. If our picture of God is skewed then we cannot experience His full power in our lives.
"The instrument through which you see God is your whole self. And if a man's self is not kept clean and bright, his glimpse of God will be blurred--like the Moon seen through a dirty telescope." C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity
The life lacking in God's power renders us ineffective.
The only way to combat this is to actively pray for truth and speak against deception that clouds our revelation of who God is. In my best human efforts, I cannot see God, but through God only, I begin to see Him with more clarity and the clouded glasses of deception begin to clear. I am frustrated when I try to reach God in my own efforts because no matter how good my intentions may be, it is an impossible task.
Pray for truth.
Speak against deception.
Only God can reveal Himself to us.

"Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me Your path
guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long." (Ps. 25_4-5)



1 comment: