Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The death of earthly hope brings life to real hope

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13


I didn't always understand what hope really meant in 1 Corinthians 13:13, but I knew it had to be important because it is one of three things that isn't going to burn away when all is said and done. I seem to so easily get caught up in the hopes in this earthly life, which are always fleeting and will inevitably disappoint again and again. I thrust my energy, talents and my everything into what doesn't matter-here today gone tomorrow type of hopes. And God wants me to stop floundering in empty hope and start thriving in His Hope, His Life.

My life has changed from living in a big city to moving to a very small town where I have not been able to find a job and my days seem to be pointless. This is where God has taught me to put my hope in Him. It has been good to get out of the routine and monotony of life because looking back I was going in circles and making no impact at all. Now, my hope has been renewed in Him. I realize that if my hope is rooted in God- in knowing Him better and loving Him more and sharing the hope that I have in Him with others, I will not be walking in circles any longer but fulfilling the hope which He has called me to. It is so easy to get away from that, but sometimes when disappointment comes in life, our hope is realized once again in Him and that is such a sweet place to be.

This video does a whole lot better job of discussing hope that I could ever "hope" to convey it. So, I will leave you with this from David Wilkerson at Times Square Church. It is worth the time to watch.

The following link will get you to the video and click on the sermon on "The Path to Hope"


1 comment: